Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A new personal project from Janyon

























"I'm not going to go into detail on how I managed to catch a glimpse of myself whilst being upside down (some things should just stay mysterious) but I noticed it wasn't a good look. It gave me the idea of shooting a portrait series in which the subjects were in this not so comfortable predicament, which is kinda opposite to the whole "relax and look natural" conventional portrait execution. I wanted the images to look like regular portraits though, but somehow wrong.

Mark, one of the Contacts producers, rained on my parade when he told me it had been done by some guy in the US. I chose to ignore that and went ahead anyway.

Casting was a slow process as people I approached were surprisingly reluctant to be photographed in a stress-position. Its not exactly going to flatter, but I finally recruited some candidates, keeping in mind that their fitness level would need to accommodate some basic trapeze moves.

The shoot was done with the supervision of Matt at House of Yoga, Redfern. Their anti-gravity yoga studio ensured the safety of the subjects through proper instruction and equipment, so my public liability was in no danger of straining a muscle.

The producers were a huge help in pulling the shoot together, and I'm grateful for the efforts of the crew, Sandra (asst), Hilary Ho (MUA) and stylist Susannah Best, the guys at House of Yoga and the subjects who tried their best to look composed."

- Janyon

No comments:

Post a Comment